Re: hard disk crash

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 23:19:26 +0200, steef wrote:
hi you all out there,

one of my hd's crashed completely for unknown reasons. i tried several solutions without any result. knoppix 5.0 recognized the partition with data (/dev/hda1) but refuses to mount it: 'i could not determine the filesystem etc. etc. '

[...]

somebody out there who can give me a helping hand to repair somehow the hd or point me to a method/way or program to rescue at least my holiday-photographs from france i put on the hd two hours before the crash...?

You can try to repair your partition table with TestDisk and/or to
recover your photos with PhotoRec; both these tools are available in
package "testdisk". The "scalpel" package is another option for trying
to extract the files if you cannot restore the partition table.

In any case it is probably a good idea to create a backup image of the
whole disk first, as Peter Greff has already suggested.
thank you all for your response! i combine your advices and try them all out. i shall let you know the results. thanks again,

steef

drs. steef van duin
publicist/journalist
groningen, holland