Xen dom0 non-PAE kernel frustrations

After 10 years of FreeBSD fun, i started out with Debian because of the excellent HP software support on it and Xen support which FreeBSD lacks bigtime. I'm pretty happy with the result, but i'm getting really frustrated by my Xen installation. In the domU i am going to run an OpenFiler image, which is bound to i386-nonPAE-smp-xenU The i386 part is no problem, but non-PAE means disabling high-memory support in a custom kernel as there aren't any non-PAE kernels anymore in Debian Etch.

Using apt-get to install a xen image and hypervisor won't work, so i tried compiling my own kernel. After a lot of hard work (i'm used to FreeBSD), i managed to compile my kernel but it's rather flaky.

Can someone precisely tell me what steps i need to take for compiling a non-PAE i386 kernel for use with Debian dom0?

I used the wiki on http://strugglers.net/wiki/User:Andy/Xen as a howto, but i end up in a non-bootable kernel.

Sorry for the ignorance. Google gives me 1000's of results, but i need to have a hint that really works for my situation.

Remco Bressers