Re: upgrading ubuntu to debian

Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> writes:
> Unless you REALLY know what you're doing, upgrading from Ubuntu to
> Debian (And vice-versa) is nearly impossible and unsupported by the
> Debian community (If you did try it, we probably wouldn't be able to
> help you). Too many things are done differently between the two
> operating systems, for example, while Debian uses root to do many tasks
> by default Ubuntu has no true root user and instead uses sudo.

I dunno, I've done debian<->ubuntu (both directions) with few problems
(this was a year or two ago).

As I recall the only issues were due to some python packaging
differences (and as I understand it, the python packging on the two
system has converged since then).... [Gee, come to think of it about 95%
of the packaging problems I see these days (even with a pure debian
system) seem to be related to python!]

The impression I was left with from that experience was that the two
systems are _very_ close to each other in most respects, and that a lot
of the difference is essentially window dressing and random minor bug
fixes here and there.

Anyway, it's certainly good to know what you're doing, but it seems
silly to say it's "nearly impossible."

-Miles

--
97% of everything is grunge