how find postscript for a Unicode character.

Now I've written a program that takes minimally marked-up text and
formats it as a Postscript file.  I take the generated
Postscript file and send igtto a Postscript orinter using xpp.

That works fine for most of the text I have to print

The minimal markup notation is pure nonstandard hackery.  In fact
the program has several front ends that accept a few markup notations,
including one that's easy to use on ,u alphasmart keyboard. (Also, several
back ends will generate html or plain ASCII text instead of postscript) The
program usually accepts text in UTF-8 form.

Every now and then I have text containing unusual (non-ASCII)
characters.  It converts them politely from UTF-8 to Unicode, and then
does not know how to produce appropriate Postscript for my
printer. This is probably a matter of identifying an appropriate font that
contains that character, and then sending that to my printer in some way.

I can probably find ways to sent the glyph to the printer, provided I can
find a suitable font entry somewhere.  Now Linux (I'm using Debian etch)
has extensive font mechanisms.  How can I use these to convert Unicode to
Postscript-compatible glyph?