Re: xen or xen-vserver - difference?

Hello,

On 30-08-2007, askxuefeng <askxuefeng@gmail.com> wrote:
>  On 30-08-2007, Frank <josephbeuys@gmx.de> wrote:
>> What the differece between this packages?
>>
>> xen-linux-system-2.6.18-5-xen-686 - XEN system with Linux 2.6.18 image
>> on i686
>> xen-linux-system-2.6.18-5-xen-vserver-686 - XEN system with Linux
>> 2.6.18 image on i686
>>

>> XEN is a patch on the linux kernel to enable running linux as domX vserver
> is a patch on the linux kernel to create vserver in linux (sort of super
> chroot).
>>
>> -xen-686 is a package with only the first patch
>> -xen-vserver-686 is a package with the two patches
>>
>> Have a look at :
>> http://linux-vserver.org/
>> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/
>>
>> (in fact xen+vserver is a proof of concept that you can build a kernel
> with this two patches)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sylvain Le Gall
>
> if i want to install xen on debian and make windows xp as guest operating
> system, which packages should i install?
> i saw someone said:
> xen-linux-system-2.6.8-5-xen-686
> libc6-xen
> bridge-utils
> xen-tools
> xen-ioemu-3.0.3-1
>
> but i don't know what these packages use for.

Unfortunately, i stop using xen because it doesn't fit my need and was
not as flexible and lightweight as vserver is (but you can run
only linux distribution inside this kind of super chroot).

Using my ancient memory, i can try to guess something:
- xen-linux-system-2.6.8-5-xen-686: the kernel
- libc6-xen: the libc6 you need to use with the kernel above
- bridge-utils: what you need to create bridged network to make
  domU/dom0 communicate through a kind of network
- xen-tools: some utils to manage xen
- xen-ioemu: tools to use the Intel VT technologies (but i never use it,
  so it is really a guess)

I think, all this packages are mandatory.

Take a look at:
http://wiki.debian.org/Xen
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Xen

Regards,