icedove, KDE and pdf attachments

One very annoying thing that happens with icedove (1.5.0.12) on Debian
Lenny, is that when I get an email with a pdf attachment, I double click
on the attachment and I get the well known window which says:

You have chosen to open

mplahmplah.pdf

which is a: BIN file
from imap://....

What should icedove do with this file?
Open with "kghostview (default)"
Save to Disk

Do this automatically for files like this from now on. (GREYED OUT)

------------

First of all, I do not understand why it offers to open it with
kghostview (which I hate). Where could I change this option? In advanced
configuration -> Config Editor, I can't find any option which has to do
with pdf files...

And this would not be such a problem if the option to remember the
program for pdf files which I choose and use it from now on, was not
greyed out and thus unusable...

Which brings me to my last question: I don't have a ~/.icedove nor a
~/.thunderbird directory... Where does it store my profile?

G.