Re: Shut down or leave on?

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:01:01 +0300
Atis <atis@BEST.eu.org> wrote:

> A long time ago i measured that my PC is using 0.4A on normal
> operation and 0.6A while CD-ROM spinning (on 220V AC). So, this
> means
> - 0.4*220 = 88 Watts. This is approximately like regular light bulb
> (not very economic).
> I usually leave my PC on in winters because of some long-lasting
> downloads, or music playing, or i simply don't want to close all the
> open programs (not all of them saves state). However in summers it
> makes my room quite hot, so i prefer to turn PC off.

88 watts it used to be. A modern desktop PC will consume several hundred watts of power, which is as much as it takes to make a room "quite hot" -- do you think you could get your room hot by leaving the lights on?

It might be worthwile to measure power consumption again, with modern equipment -- you'll bes surprised.

--D.