Re: linux on ipod nano?

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 01:29:00PM +0100, koffiejunkie wrote:

> Richard Lyons wrote:
> >My nano is vfat. It mounts just fine.  It is unmounting that is the
> >problem.
>
> I missed the beginning of the thread, so forgive me if my reply isn't
> much help.   Supposing your ipod comes up as /dev/sda1, what does
>
> lsof /dev/sda1
>
> tell you?

Actually nothing -- because I lost patience and just pulled the plug on
it when it was refusing to eject.  It works normally sometimes and right
now it is working okay, so there are no files left open.

In fact, I mis-reported in the original post.  I am using gtkpod, not
gpod.  Gtkpod has two strange charactistics, but seems to be ususally
workable.  The oddities are

  - if you create an extra copy of the ipod by mistake (or when trying
    things out), there seems to be no way to delete it again, other than
    identifying the relevant lines in the ~/.gtkpod/prefs file.  I have
    not tried this method incase I mess it up.

  - it has two copies of the same window offering "Artist" "Album"
    "Genre" etc tabs, and I have no idea why one is not enough.

Until I do damage the filesystem, I've decided to accept the occasional
error messages and continue simply unplugging it when it wont eject.
Then I'll delete the ripped files that failed to copy from the computer
on the assumption they are faulty in some way.  I am going to leave
experimentation with ipodlinux as at
    http://www.linux.com/articles/53221
for another day, when I have an ipod spare...

Thanks for your comments.

--
richard