Running swatch dependably

Is anyone out there running swatch (the log watcher) as a daemon in Sarge/Edgy? If so - how the heck are you doing it? I've been through the docs and Google, but I'm not getting a workable answer - swatch behaves only if I start it manually and not for long.
	I've been issuing

swatch --config-file=/home/swatch/.swatchrc --tail-file=/var/log/messages \
--awk-field-syntax --pid-file=/var/run/swatch.pid --daemon

at boot via a customized "local" file in /etc/init.d but this doesn't seem to work - or the process zombifies somehow. (It's listed with ps aux, but it doesn't work.) If started this way at boot, when I force the text string swatch is looking for into syslog via the logger command nothing happens.
	If I start the daemon manually swatch does it's thing as expected
but it seems to zombie out (although top doesn't indicate a zombie) or simply stop working in a few hours. Is there a startup script skeleton/template that I'm not finding? The closest proper startup script I can find is related to Debian is

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/scebai3141/13167052.html

	but I can't get this to work either.
	I'd be grateful for any pointers!

Brett Charbeneau, GSEC Gold, GCIH Gold