Re: Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)

On 8/25/07, Wayne Topa <linuxone@intergate.com> wrote:
> Francois
>
> Just looked at the config file you listed for the 2.1.18 kernel.
> It looks different then mine in the Block Device section.
>
> # Block devices
> #
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=m
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_XD is not set
> # CONFIG_PARIDE is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_DA is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DAC960 is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UMEM is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_COW_COMMON is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CRYPTOLOOP=m
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NBD=m
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SX8 is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_COUNT=16
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_BLOCKSIZE=1024
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
> CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD=y
> CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD_BUFFERS=8
> CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD_WCACHE=y
> # CONFIG_ATA_OVER_ETH is not set
>
> This is from the /boot/config-2.6.18y that does not use initrd.  Maybe
> you could try adding some of these to your 2.6.18 config file.

I tried (I uploaded the new config file:
http://www-etud.iro.umontreal.ca/~duranlef/linux-config/), same thing.
Now I am trying to do as Bert Schulze suggested me, but I am
struggling with my packages because my dependencies are broken down
because I can't upgrade to the new libc6 package (which requires 2.6).

One thing though, I tried to boot my system with a Debian Live CD and
I had no problems. I could even mount the filesystems from the hard
drive. So there must be something to be done (aside from reinstalling
from scratch, which I am trying to avoid).

--
Francois