Re: harddisc errors

Cassiano Bertol Leal wrote:

Joris Huizer wrote:
--- "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

Alright, a small update here. I booted in rescue
mode
and did the `e2fsck -f -c -c` on the root
partition.
It seems to fix something (giving a warning
'FILESYSTEM HAS CHANGED' or something similar)

I'm suspecting the problems I saw were caused by
hdparm+udev - I purged udev and reinstalled (and
removed a stale /dev/.udev) and disabled hdparm,
and
no more errors were coming up; I tried reenabling
hdparm, but was getting some modules not getting
loaded again - so I purged hdparm. I found information online that suggested udev and
hdparm together might cause problem (

https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/27940
), though obviously in this case it is most likely
misconfiguration issue, not a bug in either of the
two
programs.

Am currently thinking of reinstalling hdparm,
though I
think I need advice as how to configure it
(installing
it, or `dpkg-reconfigure hdparm`, aren't giving
configuration help)
Since udev is required by the most recent kernels,
you probably don't
want to install something that prevents you from
having udev.

What is it you want hdparm for?

Doug.

In case hdparm and udev really don't mix together, I
won't reinstall hdparm anymore (but if that's the case
udev should be marked as conflicting with hdparm, or
hdparm with udev, or so)
I just want hdparm for efficient hard-disc usage (as I
originally installed it as it could enable DMA and
other hard disc settings, that normally would remain
disabled)

Though perhaps nowadays this is just configured in the
kernel automatically?

regards,

Joris

In my Debian testing system, udev and hdparm live together and
harmoniously. hdparm does its job well, as does udev with no conflicts
whatsoever.

Same here in Sid: udev and hdparm live together quite happily,

Hugo