Re: broken old installer?

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 12:49:52PM -0800, Ken Irving wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 10:21:17AM -0800, Ken Irving wrote:
> > I'm somewhat CD-writing-impaired, and have always installed debian systems
> > using outdated installers.  For a long time I used a woody net install cd,
> > but since mid-2005 I've been using a sarge net install cd, as recently
> > as a month ago, without problems.  Now I'm seeing the install fail.
> > Unfortunately, the first error screen indicating a problem is quickly
> > (~ 1 second maybe) replaced with an information-free curses page saying
> > that there were errors...

> > On thing I haven't tried is to do the install completely off the CD,
> > and do the net upgrades later.
>
> ... which of course didn't work from the *net install* cd.  I was able
> to proceed after upgrading aptitude (and related libraries) from another
> console.
>
> > Should I not be using my trusty old installer?

You can do a basic install with the netinst.iso without a network.  I do
it all the time.  You get a base install.  Its only the business card
iso that doesn't include basedebs.  For my installs, I don't choose
_any_ tasks to install.

Note, however, that Woody was 3.0 and Sarge was 3.1.  Sure there was
some difference, but the upgrade was handled well by aptitude.  I never
owned a Sarge CD.  The upgrade from Sarge to Etch (4.0) is not smoothe.
Do yourself a favor and get Etch's netinst.iso for your arch (i386,
amd64, S390??).  Assuming that you have access to a debian box with a
burner, any problems you have can be solved here.

Doug.