/dev/cdrom & /dev/dvd symlinks and udev

I have two dvd drives, hdc is a standard drive and hdd is a cd/dvd
writer.  The problem is that all the cdrom symlinks always point at
/dev/hdd which is not my primary drive.  I like cdrw and dvdrw as they
are, but would like to have cdrom and dvd to point correctly to hdc.  In
trying to do this I have followed a number of online howtos but nothing
has any effect.

I have tried using 10-local.rules, local.rules, z99.rules without luck.
I have also tried a number of entries in these files, including:

SUBSYSTEMS=="ide", KERNELS=="1.0", SYMLINK+="cdrom", ENV{GENERATED}="1"

and:

KERNEL=="hdc", SUBSYSTEM=="block", SYMLINK+="cdrom"

and a couple of others I cannot even recall right now.  I used udevinfo
to get the above data, and udevtest would return that the symlinks would
be created, but they never were.  They continue to point to /dev/hdd
apparently regardless of what I do.  I have restarted udev with the
init.d script and have rebooted, all without any change.

What exactly am I doing wrong here?  Is there something I am
overlooking?  Is there perhaps another rules file which overrules this
one and resets or refuses to allow a reset of the symlinks?

Thanks for any help.

Patrick