NFS server problem

Hi

I have 2 boxes, 1 is my nfs server - which hold all my home directories, the
other is a processing machine, which loads the users home directories via nfs

my mount in the fstab

hufpuf.hme1.samad.com.au:/home/alex                     /home/alex
nfs     rw,auto,noatime,nouser,async,nodev,suid,_netdev,rsize=32768,wsize=32768
0       0

what happens is after a while the nfs get locked and I get these in dmesg

nfs: server hufpuf.hme1.samad.com.au not responding, still trying
nfs: server hufpuf.hme1.samad.com.au not responding, still trying
nfs: server hufpuf.hme1.samad.com.au not responding, still trying
nfs: server hufpuf.hme1.samad.com.au OK
nfs: server hufpuf.hme1.samad.com.au OK
nfs: server hufpuf.hme1.samad.com.au OK

the only way to unlock it is to restart the nfs server and then everything
starts working fine ????  one other thing that is different is I have an mtu of
9100 between these to servers, but I have had this in place for a while.

these are the packages installed on the server

ii  nfs-common                  1:1.1.0-11                  NFS support files
common to client and server
ii  nfs-kernel-server           1:1.1.0-11                  support for NFS
kernel server

and on the client

ii  nfs-common                  1:1.1.0-11                  NFS support files
common to client and server
ii  nfs-kernel-server           1:1.1.0-11                  support for NFS
kernel server

I am not sure where to start looking first as the client machine locks up hard
till I restart the nfs........

Alex