resolved: Re: Poor Xorg performance in Etch

I found a reference to the problem here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/81858

I tried the recommended solution and it seems to work:

  Potential Workaround (verified to help for some):
  Use Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"
  in your xorg.conf device section

It seems like a problem I hit before because I recalled reading this some months ago and may posted about it here. I think it's the reason I initially avoided Firefox. They call it a minor bug but it was a major problem for me. I may have assumed at the time that Ubuntu bugs get passed upstream to Debian, but evidently not.