Re: libc6 kernel upgrade problem

Bill Wohler wrote:
> Robert Jerrard writes:
> > WARNING: POSIX threads library NPTL requires kernel version
> > 2.6.8 or later. If you use a kernel 2.4, please upgrade it
> > before installing glibc.
>
> Does this imply that lenny will not support 2.4 at all?

Correct.  Linux 2.4 support has been dropped post Etch.

> Since the kernel for this particular system (a vserver) is not under
> my control and I don't expect it to be upgraded anytime soon if ever
> this would be bad.

That could be a problem.  The calls made by libc will in some cases
require a linux 2.6 kernel.

> Taking a quick look, I see that glibc isn't installed on this system
> either, so maybe I'm OK?

In Debian the glibc package name is libc6 or libc6.1 or libc0.1 or
possibly other things depending upon the architecture.  There are
probably many different ways to deduce this but these are useful.

  dpkg -S /lib/libc.*
  libc6: /lib/libc.so.6

  dpkg -l libc6'*' | grep ^ii

Bob