User Name Not Allowed

Since I started using Linux, I've used the same username, "hal", for
logging in.  With Sarge this was no problem since, somehow, it adapted
for the actual hal programs.  The first problem I had with it was with
Ubuntu, but I got by that by just upgrading my old install instead of
making a new one.

I installed Etch on a computer for my Mother today and it wouldn't allow
me to use "hal."  On all my email accounts and other accounts on all
the systems I deal with, I've always used the name "hal," but now it's
not allowed.

Is there a way around this?  Can I get my name back?  It seems
shortsighted to create systems that create a username like this.  It's
not as common as john or jane, but it's a well known name that it seems
likely people would be using to log in with.

Thanks for any ideas.

Hal