Lenny, X, dead mouse

Folk,

Sorry for the preceding defective message.

This weekend I installed Lenny and X on a machine
where Etch has worked for months.  The mouse is
a Logitech Model:M-S48 with a Compaq label.
I expected the configuration for X to be the same as
in Etch, yet the mouse is dead.  mdetect output is this.

/dev/psaux
intellimouse

/etc/X11/xorg.conf snippet.

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier    "Configured Mouse"
   Driver        "mouse"
   Option        "CorePointer"
   Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
   Option        "Protocol"        "MouseManPlusPS/2"
   Option        "Emulate3Buttons"    "true"
EndSection

Thanks for any tips,          ... Peter E.