Multiple monitors with ATI/AMD Linux drivers 8.40.4

Dear Debian users,

I'm trying to get working my VGA chip (ATI Technologies Inc ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)) the following configuration:

- this laptop has an LCD screen with a recommended resolution of 1280x800 @ 60 Hz - this machine has a D-SUB connector for CRT monitor devices, I've attached there a CRT monitor (LG Flatron EZ T710P), I want
a resolution of 1024x768 @ 85 Hz

I own a manually compiled kernel (2.6.22.2) and ATI/AMD "fglrx" 8.40.4 (installed from .deb packages generated with ati's
installer. The VGA/OpenGL works generally good.)

In the ATI Linux Control Center my external CRT monitor is discovered and powered on, but I can't seperately set their own resolution and refresh rates. Sometimes I can (after pressing apply the CRT goes to 1024x768@85), but I assume configuration is not saved because after rebooting, I get a resolution of 1280x800 on the CRT. I have to "move" the screen with the mouse
cursor.

My questions:

- Is it possible to set a custom resolution for the LCD and for the CRT device?
 Do I have to do this in xorg.conf ?
- Is it a bug of the fglrx driver? Should I install another version?

Thanks a lot!