Screensaver killed by some applications

I'm running Debian Testing with KDM/KDE.

If I run Qemu it stops the screensaver from working and the only way
I've found to get it working again is to stop and re-start X
after I have closed Qemu.

Anyone else have this?

Is there a better way to restart the screensaver? I have tried
resetting it in the KDE Control Centre but although screen blanking
works power off of the screen after a set time does not work.

I have seen this happen occasionally when I'm not running Qemu and I
suspect another application but I haven't been able to identify it yet.

Regards

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk