Re: change partitions

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 11:36:41AM +1000, jupiter.hce@gmail.com wrote:

> I installed Debian on a machine with several other pations (window,
> RH9.1, etc). During the installation, it indicated one of my linux
> partition had some problems (it is formated by ext3, but can only write
> to the disk with used space only higher than 70%). Now I am going to fix
> that partition before I am going to mount it to Debian. Also, I am no
> longer need to use MS window and I am going to remove all window
> partitions. I know it is risk operation and I need to take advice here
> before I delete or alter the partitions.
>
> Should I use fdisk to remove the window partition or if there is a
> better partition tool I can use in Debian?

Personally, for this sort of thing I use cfdisk.

> Can I remove the window partition from Linux?

Sure.

> Is there a partition tool in Debian which can detect the ext3 partition
> problem and to fix it without re-format or re-partition?

The 'partitions' are only numbers in a table that OS's refer to to see
what block starts the next partition and where it ends.  I'm assuming
that your problem with the partition is actually with the filesystem on
that partition.  With it unmounted, run e2fsck -cc on it.

The -cc means that a non-distructive read/write badblocks test will run
on it.  With modern drives you should not actually find any bad blocks
unless the drive is at end-of-life and has used up its remapping space.
However, if it completes fine you'll know that writing beyond the 70%
range worked for the drive.

Which partition has the problem?

> Also, I have only one window OS, but I don't k now why both hda1 and
> hda2 are for window partitions, can I delete both of them?

I haven't run an MS product since windows 3.1 so I don't know.  But
since you don't need windows and you know that neither partition is
needed, you should be able to remove them.  This may end up changing the
numbering of the extended partition from hda3 to either 1 or 2.
However, the partitions in it should still start at hda5.

> Please see following partition information and the debian boot is in
> Master section.
>
> sudo fdisk -l
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 32.0 GB, 32003112960 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track,
> 3890 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>    /dev/hda1               1         255     2048256    7  HPFS/NTFS
>    /dev/hda2             256        1275     8193150    b  W95 FAT32
>    /dev/hda3            1276        3890    21004987+   5  Extended
>    /dev/hda5            1276        1504     1839411   83  Linux
>    /dev/hda6            2296        2298       24066   83  Linux
>    /dev/hda7            2299        2364      530113+  82  Linux swap
>    / Solaris /dev/hda8            2365        3890    12257563+  83
>    Linux /dev/hda9   *        1505        1863     2883636   83  Linux
>    /dev/hda10           1864        2295     3470008+  83  Linux

Since hda3 goes from cylinder 1276 to 3890 yet hda10 ends at 2295, there
should also be some free space at the end.

Good luck,

Doug.