where is grub installed?

Hi,
Suppose my hard disks are setup as:

IDE (Master)
/dev/hda1  -- ext3  -- 10 GB
/dev/hda2  -- ext3  -- 100 GB
/dev/hda3  -- ext3  -- 50 GB

SATA (connected to SATA 1 controller on the mobo)
/dev/sda1 -- ext3 -- 50GB  -- /
/dev/sda2 -- ext3 -- 500 MB -- /boot
/dev/sda3 -- ext3 -- 100 GB -- /home

So, the GRUB oncfig files are in /dev/sda2 (/boot/grub). I am assuming
that grub is installed in /dev/sda2. So, where is the MBR? Is it on
the first track of the first partition of the first hard disk, ie
/dev/hda1?

If so, suppose I format /dev/hda1 will the MBR be gone implying that I
cannot reboot m y system?

What is the safest way to partition the disks so that, if sometime
later I install someother OS (Solaris/FreeBSD/Anyother GNU/Linux but
not Windows) the MBR is not disturbed and I can use it to boot into
the existing Debian.

--
Regards
PK