Re: live Debian on USB stick

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 22:56:36 -0400, Mark Grieveson wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:33:04 +0000 (UTC)
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I installed knoppix on my USB stick and it runs fine but it's too big
>> ~ 600 Mb. There are too many packages.
>> Is there a Debian dist, not as big as knoppix, that I can put on my
>> USB sti= ck ?
>
> Damn Small Linux (DSL) is Debian based, and much smaller.

Yep, second to that. DSL has saved my day when I need a Linux Live system.
However, it also has it drawbacks. Check the details at
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/live/dsl/

Also on the site you can find my recommended Linux Live system -- the true
Live-CD pioneer with unparalleled leading technology and vision. You might
not agree with what I've picked, but you can also check

Various Debian (Live) CD Systems
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/live/debian-cd/

Believe me, searching for the perfect Linux Live system has been my "life
long" journey. Before Knoppix even exist, I custom built RedHat, shrinking
its installation disks from 3 to 1, and only contains my picked packages
list,

RedHat Distro Customization
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/distro/redhat/

Its installation does not require human intervention. So whenever I
need a Linux system, I was able to have a system ready within 10~15
minutes, which contains the very tools that I want. This is the most
important thing to me. Some other Debian Live Systems, eg, grml, can be
installed on HD within 6~8 minutes or so, but how long will it take to
further tune the installed System to your taste?

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/