Re: live Debian on USB stick

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 22:56:36 -0400, Mark Grieveson wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:33:04 +0000 (UTC)
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I installed knoppix on my USB stick and it runs fine but it's too big
>> ~ 600 Mb. There are too many packages.
>> Is there a Debian dist, not as big as knoppix, that I can put on my
>> USB sti= ck ?
> Damn Small Linux (DSL) is Debian based, and much smaller.

Yep, second to that. DSL has saved my day when I need a Linux Live system.
However, it also has it drawbacks. Check the details at

Also on the site you can find my recommended Linux Live system -- the true
Live-CD pioneer with unparalleled leading technology and vision. You might
not agree with what I've picked, but you can also check

Various Debian (Live) CD Systems

Believe me, searching for the perfect Linux Live system has been my "life
long" journey. Before Knoppix even exist, I custom built RedHat, shrinking
its installation disks from 3 to 1, and only contains my picked packages

RedHat Distro Customization

Its installation does not require human intervention. So whenever I
need a Linux system, I was able to have a system ready within 10~15
minutes, which contains the very tools that I want. This is the most
important thing to me. Some other Debian Live Systems, eg, grml, can be
installed on HD within 6~8 minutes or so, but how long will it take to
further tune the installed System to your taste?

Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)