Re: /boot/grub missing in Debian 4.0 installation

* Masatran, R. Deepak <masatran@research.iiit.ac.in> [2007 Aug 17 14:16 -0500]:
> I am moving my computer from Testing to Stable. I installed Stable on a new
> partition, and want to configure GRUB. But /boot/grub is missing! It was a
> routine install, except that I did not select "Desktop environment" in
> TaskSel. Why is /boot/grub missing? And how can I get it created? The
> computer is a two-year-old I386-based laptop. Some other info:
>
>     masatran@masatran:~$ ls /boot
>     config-2.6.18-4-486      initrd.img-2.6.18-4-486.bak  vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-486
>     initrd.img-2.6.18-4-486  System.map-2.6.18-4-486
>
>     masatran@masatran:~$ sudo aptitude search grub
>     p   ggz-grubby          - GGZ Gaming Zone: chat bot with the ability to play games
>     i   grub                - GRand Unified Bootloader
>     p   grub-disk           - GRUB bootable disk image
>     p   grub-doc            - Documentation for GRand Unified Bootloader
>     p   grub-splashimages   - a collection of great GRUB splashimages

If I recall, /boot/grub does not exist until grub-install is run.  If
your current bootloader (grub?) is configured from your Testing
partition, then all you need to do is add kernel stanzas for your
Stable partition.  If you run grub-install from your Stable partition,
then it will replace the existing bootloader and be configured in
/boot/grub and you'll need to add kernel Stanzas to boot Testing
(unless you plan on using that partition for something else).

Clear as mud?  :)

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of