Re: Build a NAS/file server for mirror existent backup

Am 2007-08-12 12:28:39, schrieb Mirco Piccin:
> Hi all.
> I'd like to do NAS/File server.
>
> The aim is to have a remote machine where mirror all backup that reside on
> the backup server and in another  NAS (a LACIE ethernet disk).
> This remote machine must have about 1,5 TB of disk, possibly mirrored (RAID
> 1).

no problem...

> I've not defined yet if use scp/rsynch/.... to do the job, but any suggest
> is well accepted.
>
> My questions, at this point, is related to the HW.
> Some consideration: i think to use
> - sata disks (good price and performances, it's possible to do the RAID from
> controller)

3Ware 3w9500-4LP with four Hitachi 1 TByte drives
which will give you 2 TByte in Raid-1

> - mini-itx machine (this "mirriring server" will be hide in a place without
> conditioned air) : low consumption and low temperature BUT no scsi
> controller integrated and only one PCI slot

No problem, I run a µITX with a 3w9500-16 and sixteen 1 TByte HDD's
as Backup-Server with Raid-5... It consum only 60-140 Watt It depends
on the Disk-Access.

> My questions are:
> - for this purpose it's enought a mini-itx machine with a 1Ghz processor ?

Yes definitivly but be carefull with the Power-Supply. (>=120 Watt)

> - how many RAM MB?

It depends HOW MANY concurent connections it will have.
I have 2 x 256 MByte with a Sempron 2200+ which is definitivly overkill.

> - integrated lan is ok or is better to choice a 1gbit lan (server lan is
> 1gbit) card?

If you have only ONE PCI-Slot you need to stick with the On-Board LAN.
Maybe you should try to get an ITX with GBit LAN?  my µITX has it
using the VIA Chip.

> - which tool i can install for a good "human" web administration?

PHP5 and do it yourself  :-)

> Any other suggests?

Buy a small APC UPS with 350 to 650 VA for it they are cheap
and will save you many headaches

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)