Re: /boot partition erased (help needed)

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 15:41 -0400, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> On Thursday 16 August 2007 01:32 pm, Deephay wrote:
> > I made a very stupid mistake two hours ago, I bought a new USB storage
> > disk and I was trying to test the speed:
> >
> > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1
> >
> > sadly I typed "sdb1" as "sda1" and that was the /boot partition, I
> > realized it immediately, but it was too late.[...]
>
> Have you tried formatting the partition?  You just wrote a series of "0"s
> across the partition...not as files, as raw data.  You wiped out the inode
> tables, superblocks, etc.

As Mark wrote, first format /dev/sda1 using mkfs.ext3, mkfs.ext2,
mkfs.reiserfs etc. - whichever filesystem you use(d) - and then mount it
as /boot.

After that you have to reinstall your kernel image(s) because this is
what you have essentialy wiped out. The install scripts in the
linux-image-* packages should then automatically recreate GRUB's
configuration.

Good luck!

--
Krzysztof Lubanski