Re: live Debian on USB stick

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 12:37:23PM -0600, Aenn Seidhe Priest wrote:
From: Aenn Seidhe Priest <sidhepriest@yandex.ru>
To: g.robin3@free.fr, debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: live Debian on USB stick

Feather Linux is a slim version of Knoppix.

It can boot off a USB drive with a little preparation.

http://featherlinux.berlios.de/download.htm
thanks for the advices (Aenn, Mark, Chris)

Feather Linux and dsl boot my box and xwindow works fine but I
encountered some issues:

fdisk -l gives:
USB stick:
/dev/sda1  ......
/dev/sda2 ...... hdd:
nothing ;-)

I expect:
hdd:
/dev/sda1 .... windows
/dev/sda2 .... windows
/dev/sda3 .... windows
/dev/sda5 .... linux
USB stick:
/dev/sdb1 *  fat 16 or 32  ~ 750Mb
/dev/sdb2    linux ext2 or ext3

there is a problem ...

No sound.

The sound isn't a problem for me, but it's important that I can accede to
my hdd (to repair something, in case ...).

Debian live gives: missing operating system.
I followed the tuto located here: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Howto/USB

To install correctly knoppix I used the excellent tuto located here: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/02/20/installing-usb-knoppix-51-using-linux/
I have to install the packages: syslinux, lilo, mbr, dosfstools which
contains mkfs.vfat and mkfs.ext2/3

to install, ALMOST, correctly Feather Linux and dsl I used the same tuto
with a few changes.

(sorry for my poor english)

--
Gérard