Re: how to do upgrade with the Network Install disc...

* Chuck Payne <cepayne@magidesign.com> [070816 01:14]:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to upgrade a box with the network install disc, seem to be
> only able to do an install.

When upgrading, there is no need for a CD; simply change the
repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list .

However, I have found it advantageous to do a fresh installation when
upgrading.  If nothing else, it shows me how much the installation and
configuration of Debian has been simplified since my last
installation.

If you take the trouble to make notes during the installation and
write down all the information which must be entered and all the
packages which must be loaded, a subsequent installation becomes a
very simple matter.

And I always check the drive usage before making a fresh installation,
to see whether I need to allocate more or less drive space to each of
the partitions.  Installation is the only occasion on which a normal
user gives much consideration to his system configuration.  With each
installation my system becomes more logical and better optimized for my
needs.

RLH