Re: view the exit status from command line

Ken Irving wrote:
On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 04:21:17PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> writes:

I want to know if the command exited with status zero or non-zero. Can
this be done in a simple way?
$test -x debian/rules; echo $?

Thanks. Exactly what I am after!
Here's a $0.02 recipe from my ~/.bashrc:

if [ "$PS1" ]; then
   PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -n "$? "'
fi

This way, an interactive bash will print the exit status of the last
command before its prompt, so you can _always_ see it.  Very handy,
IMO. :-)

Thanks for this great idea!

You don't need a command (at least with the versions of bash I've used the last 10 years), just make sure the variable does not get expanded before it is assigned to PS1. Like so: PS1='$?\$ '. now try executing /bin/true and /bin/false.