Bugs (pppoe & disable root login) about Debian 4.0(Etch) Installation

1. I use netinst CD to Install "etch" on my PC (Intelx86 - CPU is AMD duron 800MHz) with the following boot parameters:

              expert  modules=ppp-udeb

2. The language for installation is zh_TW (Chinese traditional) and the keyboard mapping is US.

3. During installation I choose to NOT set up root account and I choose to install only packages for desktop, without any package for server.

It can complete installation even getting software packages from the mirror site via pppoe network (ADSL).

BUT after I login my account, the first account on the system, I encountered the following problems:

PROBLEM 1:
I  can't  use  network. It seems thet the pppoe doesn't start.
I open an Xterm and type ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, system respons "Network not available."

PROBLEM 2:
I press the "software update" button at the right-up coner on the screen, the system prompts to enter administrative password.
BUT, during installating the system, it never prompts any messages for setting up administrative password or  password for root. (I choose using sudo instead of root account)
I don't know what is the administrative password. I tried my password, empty, blank space, but all are failed.

Sincerely Yours,
Huang, Kuan-Chung