Re: problem with hard disk geometry

Diego Brouard wrote:
Hi. I'm not sure if this is a debian caused problem but perhaps.

I installed recently a debian etch box on a RAID 1 based on one IDE
hard disk. My intention was adding its pair later.

Now I want to add this second hard disk. Both are identical model but
for one de them, fdisk tells me a wrong geometry ( in fact it's in the
installation drive ).

==installation drive==

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders

==second drive==

Disk /dev/hdb: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77545 cylinders

Honestly, I can't find out why is this happening. Any idea?

Thanks in advance. Diego.

This could be a BIOS problem. Is this system fairly old? If so, it could be translating the disk geometry into a form that it can handle, but is not "native" for the disk.

You may find an option in the BIOS to allow you to also map the geometry of the new disk, so it matches the first. Or, worst case, you could turn off the geometry mapping for the first disk and reinstall. ;(

--
Bob McGowan