Re: Suspend resumes after 6 minutes!

Florian Kulzer said...
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 11:39:55 +0100, marc wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Using KDE or Gnome on a laptop, when I suspend, all seems fine. And, if
> > I resume within approx. 10 mins, the resume works as expected.
> >
> > However, when I resume after 10 mins or so, the fan starts, the CDROM
> > whirrs, but the monitor doesn't restart. I think the disk has started -
> > there are a couple of flashes from the access light initially, but then
> > no more.
> >
> > But, after six minutes, the machine suddenly bursts into life, and the
> > world is good again.
> >
> > Does anyone have any pointers where to look to resolve this? Thanks.
> >
> > I've tried hacking around with the options in /etc/default/acpi-default,
> > but nothing in there changed things. In addition,
> > ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=true is set.

Hi Florian, thanks for getting back to this.

> Do you have the packages "hibernate" and "vbetool" installed? I would
> start with the hibernate scripts and try the options in the "vbetool"
> and the "xhacks" section of the common configuration file. Getting
> suspend to work reliably can still involve quite some trial-and-error,
> unfortunately.

Yup, but this two+ year old laptop has worked fine with suspend until I
recently "upgraded". Well, it did need a custom kernel for sarge many
moons back, but that's ancient history - and I don't wish to go there
again.

hibernate isn't installed, although vbetool is, but what I have been
using to circumvent the problem is uswsusp. This package hibernates very
quickly - via s2disk -  and restores almost as fast, so it's the best I
currently have.

I'll check out the xhacks idea at the w/e. Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Marc