Re: shutdown

On Sunday 12 August 2007 21:29, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:28:47 +0000 (UTC)
>
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > Subject: Re: shutdown
> >
> > Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net>:
> > >  Hello.  I'm using Debian Etch.  My machine does not completely
> > > shutdown -- I'm required to manually press the button (it's like
> > > being back in
> >
> > Check /var/log/messages for anything mentioning ACPI.  The kernel may
> > have decided your mboard is too old and has disabled that to be safe.
> > You can try enabling it with a boot prompt "acpi=force", but note this
> > may have other side effects (enabling powersaving & etc).
>
> I found three mentions of acpi, those being:
>
> debian kernel: ACPI: Interpreter disabled.
> debian kernel: pnp: PnP ACPI: disabled
> debian kernel: PCI quirk: region 0800-083f claimed by PIIX4 ACPI
>
> Which file do I put this boot prompt "acpi=force" into?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> PS, Shutdown did work back when I was using Sarge.  Like people, I
> guess operating systems get more careful as they age.

I think it's more a kernel thingy, along with some hardware.

Anyway. when you get Grubs menu, select the kernel you want to boot, then
press "a". Do one space, and add acpi=force to the kernel line, then press
"b" , and the appended kernel will boot. If when you shutdown it all works
ok, you can add acpi=force to your kernel lines in /boot/grub/grub.conf,
doing this of course as root on the CLI with a text editor.

I've had problems with this with my Fedora core 5 install on one of my
machines. The machine with the shutdown problem had no problems with booting
from the kernel that came with the install discs, a 2.6.15 one, but kernels
2.6.17, and onwards would not shutdown completely without using acpi=force.
Someone else with different hardware had problems with Fedora core 6, and for
him, appending the kernel with "lacpi" (without the double quotes) resolved
the problem. And that is lacpi, not lapic, although lapic may work for you.

I havn't had any such problems with my Debian installs (Sarge, Etch, and
Lenny), but did find this when I was trying to resolve the Fedora problem.

btw: The other machine that has Fedora core 5 on it, has no such shutdown
problems, which seems to indicate that this is a problem associated with only
some hardware, and newer kernels.

Hope you can resolve the problem.

Nigel.