RE: problem making symbolic link to blackdown SOLVED but now applet still fails.

Wait a minute.... Forget all this. I read the documentation for a generic install from the blackdown site and forgot about the debian installation process.....

I deleted the manual installation I did.

I did

apt-get install java-package

I then did the fakeroot command:

mikef@localhost:~/java/blackdown$ fakeroot make-jpkg j2re-1.4.2-03-linux-amd64.bin
Creating temporary directory: /tmp/make-jpkg.Gdifk15787
Loading plugins: blackdown-j2re.sh blackdown-j2sdk.sh common.sh ibm-j2re.sh ibm-j2sdk.sh j2re.sh j2sdk-doc.sh j2sdk.sh j2se.sh sun-j2re.sh sun-j2sdk-doc.sh sun-j2sdk.sh

Detected Debian build architecture: amd64
Detected Debian GNU type: x86_64-linux-gnu

No matching plugin was found.
Removing temporary directory: done
mikef@localhost:~/java/blackdown$ ls
INSTALL-j2re j2re-1.4.2-03-linux-amd64.bin j2re-1.4.2-03-linux-amd64.bin.sign LICENSE README

OK, I fixed the problem. I installed j2re-1.4.2-01-linux-amd64.bin instead of the 03 version with make-jpkg and the java has correctly installed.

I then went to the distillation applet web site I mentioned in an earlier posting to see if I could get the applet to work that failed to work properly with the gcj plugin I got with the standard amd64 Etch installation..........

Sadly I got the same error as before.

If you go to this web site:

http://tierling.home.texas.net/

and go on the vessel volume applet you get a nice bunch of boxes that you can enter numbers in with a calculate button underneath them.

You can run the applet over and over again changing the parameters in it and getting different volumes for the vessel.

I think its a good example of what an applet can do.

But the distillation applet doesn't work properly.

The blue calculate button at the bottom of the window is not created. So you can't re run the applet with new parameters in it.

So the applet is useless.

If you run the applet in e.g. Internet Explorer on Windows then the calculate button is created......

Something is wrong with the java we are using in the gcj and blackdown plugins we are using in Etch AMD64 land.

Either that or MR Tierling's java is a little wonky in some subtle way so that the plugins don't read it correctly except in Windows land.........

I will have to run this applet on my pals Windows box........

Never mind.

Regards

Michael Fothergill

mikef@localhost:~/java/blackdown$

It didn't make the deb file....

What is this missing matching plugin?

Does anyone know?

I note from one web page I have read that the "no matching plugin was found" can occur with the make-jpkg command if you are using an old version of java-package.

THis was defined as older than 0.24.   I am using 0.28.

Regards

Michael Fothergill

Regards

Michael Fothergill