apt-get error "short read in buffer"

Hi all,
Suddenly when upgrading my system whether using apt-get, aptitude or wajig I
get the following error message:
-------------------------------------
(Reading database ... dpkg: error
processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libmjpegtools0_1%3a1.8.0-0.5_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 short read in buffer_copy (files list for package `x11proto-randr-dev')
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libmjpegtools0_1%3a1.8.0-0.5_i386.deb
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
I've tried cleaning out the /var/cache/apt/archives folder but that doesn't
help. I can't remove x11proto-randr-dev. This gives the same error message.
Googling the problem has proven extremely unhelpful. The only thing looking
remotely like a solution is apt-get -f [some command] and that doesn't work
either. Results in the same error message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Jonathan