Re: How to add dir to path

Hi Mumia,

On 8/10/07, Mumia W.. <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I want to add the dir ~/scripts to my path, what command do I use for that?
>
> M> echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games
>
> But how do I add ~/scripts to that path?
>
> Thanks, Manon.

I believe the correct way to do this is to set the path in ~/.bashrc.
Set it like so:

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:$HOME/scripts

I've tried some of the other ways discussed in the thread, and they
didn't work. I hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. I already discovered that adding it to .bash_profile
doesn't work, but to .bashrc does. But someone told me it should belong
in .bash_profile.

Well, I don't know, but adding it to .bashrc works and I'm glad to know
that I'm not the only one with this 'problem'.

Manon.