RE: problem with java-gcj-compat-plugin on distillation applet.....

From: "Michael Fothergill" <mikef20000@hotmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: problem with java-gcj-compat-plugin on distillation applet.....
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 19:39:35 +0000

Dear Debianists,

I run Debian AMD64 Etch 4.0 (r0) on an AMD64 Sempron 3200 box.

I use Iceweasel and I recently installed java-gcj-compat-plugin from synaptic. I then went to the following site:

http://tierling.home.texas.net/

This guy has generously put a bunch of java applets on the site than can simulate various engineering pieces of kit.

I went on there and ran some of the applets. The vessel volume one worked fine. It has a final line at the bottom with a calculate button and a print ready button.

The calculate button allows you to run the volume calculation again after changing the parameters in the above buttons for the vessel.

You get sensible results when you change the parameters.

But if you go on the distillation simulation there is a problem.

The applet runs BUT it does not produce the last line at the bottom which should have a similar calculate and print ready buttons.....

This means that you can't rerun the calculation with new parameters etc. In effect the applet is useless................

I wondered if there could be a problem with the java plugin I was using. So I found an IT guy at work who uses Internet explorer plus java plugin and Windows etc and looked on the same web page and ran the applet for the distillation simulation.....

It worked.

I got the final calculate and print ready buttons.

He thought I needed to upgrade the java I am using.

I wondered if it meant that the java-gcj-compat-plugin deb file has an error in it somewhere.....

Comments appreciated.

I am now thinking of using e.g. the Sun Java deb file or whatever it is.

I looked on the internet and found a page (http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/142) that says you do:

1. fakeroot make-jpkg jre-1_5_0_03-linux-i586.bin

Except that it will be AMD64.bin not i586.bin etc....

2. dpkg -i sun-j2re1.5_1.5.0+update03_i386.deb

Same here

3. ln -s /usr/lib/j2re1.5-sun/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so \
 ~/.mozilla/plugins/

and here....

You get the java from http://java.sun.com.

Is this correct or am I out of date?

I assume I have to do aptitude uninstall  java-gcj-compat-plugin first.

Regards

Michael Fothergill