Re: Switching to console freezes PC

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 11:17:16 +0200, Vincenzo Spinoso wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've installed Debian Lenny using 2007-08-06 netinstall image and net
> installation.
> After using the PC for some time, if I switch from X to console using the
> classic CTRL+ALT+F1, then the system freezes, with keyboard/mouse not
> responding, xmms audio stopped, black screen... I must turn off and on the
> PC.
> The PC is a Compaq Hp NX5000, heavily used with sarge and etch/testing in
> the past, at least til April 2006, without ANY problem.
> No logs seem available, because the machine seems completely stopped.
> I would like to describe you this problem, just before trying a Sid
> upgrade, but I don't know how.
> Any suggestions? I'll wait for a reply, if you are interested in further
> details.
>
> The problem is still here, after:
> switching from gnome to xfce
> switching from gdm to xdm or kdm
> switching from xserver-xorg-video-i810 to xserver-xorg-video-intel

The last change does not make any difference, since the -i810 package is
just a transitional package on Lenny. Consequently, the "i810" xorg
driver is just a symbolic link to the "intel" driver:

$ file /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/i810_drv.so
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/i810_drv.so: symbolic link to `intel_drv.so'

I would first try starting xorg with the "vesa" driver. If that allows
you to switch to console then you know that the problem is related to
the "intel" driver. (I strongly suspect that this is the case.)

Then you should restart Xorg with the "intel" driver again and post the
output of this command:

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Maybe the error messages and warnings will provide a clue how to address
this problem. It is probably also important which Intel chipset you
have, so post the output of:

lspci | egrep -i 'vga|graphic|display'

          Florian   |