Re: [SOLVED] Re: Firefox and Time Zones

On Wednesday 08 August 2007, Andrew J. Barr wrote:
> On 8/8/07, Andrew J. Barr <andrew.james.barr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am suffering from a frustrating issue with Iceweasel (2.0.0.6,
> > Debian unstable amd64).
> >
> > I have a LiveJournal, and the post form has date and time fields on
> > it. These are automatically filled in with the current date and time,
> > using JavaScript. Problem is, Firefox thinks the time is four hours
> > later than it really is (basically it's displaying time in UTC).
> > Visiting a JavaScript tutorial page that displays the date and time
> > has confirmed this is not an LJ-specific bug. My time zone is
> > currently EDT -0400. Right now, the local time is 5:24 PM (17:24). But
> > according to Firefox, it is 9:24 PM (21:24). The 'date' command
> > displays the correct time and time zone, and so does the clock applet
> > in gnome-panel.
>
> False alarm folks.
>
> The problem was with 32-bit Iceweasel in a chroot, where the time zone
> was not correctly configured.

Oh dear, are people *still* using those ? Let me give you a hint: sid has
nspluginwrapper (flash works well in 64bit IceWeasels with it) and various
ia32-* packages. Qt isn't packaged in them, but Skype and Opera come in
statically linked archives as well. The java plugin is trickier though;
luckily Konqueror supports using 64-bit Java without Netscape plugins. Java
Web Start... well, there is an ia32-sun-java-foo-like package, which should
work, but I've never ever seen Java WS in reality.

--
      Regards,                       Thomas Jollans
GPG key: 0xF421434B may be found on various keyservers, eg pgp.mit.edu
Hacker key <http://hackerkey.com/>:
v4sw6+8Yhw4/5ln3pr5Ock2ma2u7Lw2Nl7Di2e2t3/4TMb6HOPTen5/6g5OPa1XsMr9p-7/-6