Switching from i2o_block to dpt_i2o

Hi,

I am going to be rebuilding my colo server next week using the latest Etch netinst. The box has an Adaptec RAID card that has been using the dpt_i2o driver rather than i2o_block. I built this back in 2005, rolling my own kernel and going through quite a contorted process to get AMD64 installed using dpt_i2o.

This time around I am hoping to install plain vanilla 32-bit Debian, and I am wondering how I can install using dpt_i2o rather than i2o_block as the RAID driver. I know about using modprobe, but I don't have experience of how to tell Linux to use one driver rather than another on a continuing basis.

So if Etch installs by default using i2o_block, how would I tell it to use dpt_i2o instead? Can I do this during the install, after which it will then use dpt_i2o automatically, or do I have to install first using i2o_block and then somehow convert down the line? If the latter, then how do I change the config to use the other driver?

The two drivers are apparently incompatible - you can have either one or the other installed, but not both.

Any clues much appreciated.

Thanks!

/Neil