Re: trying to get unicode to work in perl

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 12:42:23PM -0700, tom arnall wrote:

> > Did you set LC_ALL? It is not set by default (at least not on my
> > system). What is the output of locale (and why is your kmail sending
> > ISO-8852-1 mails?)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrei
>
> 'env' gives:
>
> 	kloro@debian:~$ env
> 	LC_ALL=en_US
> 	LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> 	LANGUAGE=en_US
>
> does this not give what LC_ALL is set to?
>
> 'locale' gives:
>
> 	kloro@debian:~$ locale
> 	LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> 	LANGUAGE=en_US
> 	LC_CTYPE="en_US"
> 	LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
> 	LC_TIME="en_US"
> 	LC_COLLATE="en_US"
> 	LC_MONETARY="en_US"
> 	LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
> 	LC_PAPER="en_US"
> 	LC_NAME="en_US"
> 	LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
> 	LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
> 	LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
> 	LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
> 	LC_ALL=en_US

I'm not an expert, but I think it's not very wise to mix locales. Set
everything to en_US.UTF-8 try again.

> what are 'ISO-8852-1 mails'?

Your kmail was not set to send UTF-8 mails (did you change this?), but
used the encoding ISO-8859-1 for the previous mail, that's why the
smiley face you meant to send came up ... a bit different :) It's
probably not related to your problem.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)