Re: font problem - please help!

On 8/8/07, Mumia W.. <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I read your long post at break-neck speed with 20% comprehension, so
> forgive me if I got this wrong, but you claimed that you removed some of
> the font paths. To me it looks like you removed all of them, or perhaps
> a bug in the configuration script left them out.

Hi Mumia,

When the xserver-xorg package was upgraded it seems to have removed them.
Someone said the new version of X.Org does this.

> I suggest putting the font paths back. Your best bet is to shutdown X
> and reconfigure the X server:
>
> mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak # create backup
> /etc/init.d/gdm stop   # (I'm assuming gdm. Correct for {x,k}dm.)
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>
> The above should result in a completely new xorg.conf. Check that the
> required font paths are in the "Files" section of your xorg.conf file.
>
> When you get back into X, if the fonts are still screwy, use an X
> terminal to save the output of this to a file:

Yes I use gdm. I did what you said and the newly generated xorg.conf
has no Font stuff in it. So I started X and again same font problem.
So then I manually added in the font lines and I even put the 75dpi
one at as the top line but still the problem doesn't go away.

> xset q
> xlsfonts
>
> The first command shows X settings, and the second one shows the fonts
> that X recognizes. This information helps in debugging the problem.

Ok here is that output:
http://pastebin.ca/650819

> Submitting your post by linking to a pastebin...interesting. While
> pastebin-ing the xorg.conf is appropriate, it's better to put the text
> describing the problem in the e-mail you send to the list.

Heh, ok.

Zach