Re: How to add dir to path

Manon Metten(manon.metten@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> On 8/8/07, Wayne Topa <linuxone@intergate.com> wrote:
>
> Any changes made to .bash_profile or .bashrc require a restart of that
> > file.
> >
> > If you have at the end of the .bash_profile, the command
> > . .bashrc
> >
> > Then after editing either one, you do
> > . .bash_profile  ( which is the same as logging out & back in)
> > the new commands you entered will then work. Musch faster then a
> > logout/login.
>

> Executing . .bash_profile makes no difference. The new dir won't show
> up in another session, only if I open a new  bash window, but never in
> a new session.
?????
Are you saying that you put the PATH in .bash_profile like
PATH="./scripts:$PATH"
export PATH

And doing
. . .bash_profile

does not make it availible when it finishes?  If that is so, please
post the contents of your .bash_profile.

If you are saying that it dosen't show up in another session, say vt2, that was
open when you did the above, that is right.  VT2 read the .bash_profile
before you made the change, so in any terminal open, you will have to
either log out and back in -or- do . .bash_profile in them so that
they read the changes you made.

Wayne

--
I hit the CTRL key but I'm still not in control!