Re: How to prevent LVM disk spinup at shutdown

Nate Duehr schrieb:

On Aug 8, 2007, at 2:54 AM, Gilles Mocellin wrote:

Le Wednesday 08 August 2007 09:44:16 Malte Forkel, vous avez écrit :
Hi,

I use a couple of LVM volumes on a MD RAID1 array for backup. These volumes are rarely accessed, so I use hdparm to switch the RAID disks into standby
mode.

I noticed that the disks are forced to spin up whenever the the system
shuts down. What is causing the spin up? Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks, Malte

I have the same "problem" with my external USB drive, used for backups.

It wakes up when the filesystem is umounted, because the cache must be
flushed.

Perhaps, should we mount and unmount the filesystem each time my backups
runs...

It's also marking the filesystem as having a clean shutdown, so fsck doesn't try to fix it on next boot. There's no way around it unless you want to bypass that and wait through an fsck during the next boot.

In other words, it's not a bug, it's actually doing something -- something that has to be done. It's a feature. :-)

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com

Couldn't it make sense to do all these things - flush the cache, mark the filesystem as ok, may be more - just before the disk is spun down? If its not used again before shutdown, there would be no need to spin it up again.