Re: How to add dir to path

Manon Metten wrote:
Hi Mike,

On 8/7/07, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Do something like this

$ export PATH=~/scripts:$PATH

If you put it into the appropriate startup script it will get done
every time.

I was looking for some kind of 'path' command but could not find anything
alike. I didn't know of 'export'.

Well, I combined two commands into one.

$ x=y

sets an environment variable x to value y.

$ export x

makes x available to all subprocesses in the tree which get created
after the export.

$ export x=y

does both at the same time. PATH is an environment variable
like any other in this regard. I don't believe that ksh
can do this, for example. I probably shouldn't have done that.

I just found out that if I add my dir to /etc/profile it's available every
time.

Umm, not where I would have put it. That affects every user.
I'd put it into ~/.bash_profile because I use bash. That way
it would affect only me. If another user doesn't use bash as
his shell, then he'll break.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.