Re: Virtual Machines/Emulators

Tom Grove wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

I recently developed a desire to run some emulators under Linux,
and consequently have run some of them. Here are my opinions of them,
based on install, ease of use, and speed of emulation.

The emulators I tried are DOSEMU + Freedos, BOCHS + MSDOS 6.22, and
QEMU + MSDOS 6.22. I found that each had advantages and disadvantages.
I also ran MSDOS 6.0 natively.

[snip]

I would like to see how VirtualBox stands up against the others. It seems to be the fastest emulator when it comes to Windows. Although this is only one person's opinion and there is no "scientific" evidence it just feels faster.

I tried VirtualBox, and found it impossible to install on my machine.
It won't build. The build errors are rather obscure. I looked at the
"log" file they say should contain information, but here is the
head of the log file

[QUOTE MODE ON]

VirtualBox 1.4.0 installer, built Wed Jun  6 00:03:39 CEST 2007.

Testing system setup...
System setup appears correct.

Installing VirtualBox to /usr/local/innotek/VirtualBox

Output from the module build process (the Linux kernel build system) follows:

cp: missing destination file
Try `cp --help' for more information.

[QUOTE MODE OFF]

Not very informative, is it?

Several of the compiles failed to find, for example, <stddef.h>,
<stdarg.h>, and other Standard Headers. I have no problem building
my own programs which use these headers.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.