Re: Opera or kde-pim

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 12:37:19PM -0400, Rick wrote:
> Thought I would ask, to see if anyone has drop kmail (kde-pim) and switch over, to Opera to use it for email, web, IRC, IM, ....etc
> how does it compare ? any advantages, besides a single app verus multiply apps..
> Kinda like the idea, of a unified app, that can do it all (within) itself.

Due to your mail I installed Opera (again) and I'm currently using it as
my main browser. I also checked the mail client and IRC client. Here are
my oppinions:

* Browser: Opera starts faster than Iceweasel (or Konqueror) and seems
  to render some pages better. Flash won't work without the unfree adobe
  plugin though.

* Mail client: although it is not very configurable it has sane (for me)
  defaults and a very interesting fully automatic sorting which seems to
  work pretty good. If it had a reply-to-list I would consider switching
  away from claws-mail, which has been my favorite GUI client for some
  time now.

* IRC client: I'm not a big IRC user so for my needs it seems to be more
  than adequate.

Considering that Opera seems to be faster than Iceweasel or Konqueror
AND it brings additional value with the mail and IRC client it is a
pretty strong alternative. Right now the only things keeping me back are
the licence (free but not open) and the missing reply-to-list. As I'm
not (very) politically inclined I'll go hunt for an
add-on/plugin/whatever.

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. Opera has setup a nice APT repository for all Debian versions
(stable,  testing, unstable) and the package seems to integrate very
well.
(Albert Einstein)