Re: video editing of digicam avi files

On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 01:13:19PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 08/05/07 11:12, H.S. wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to find a method to make an mpeg movie from a number of avi
> > files captured from a digital camera (Canon A540). Any suggestions what
> > steps to follow? The original videos are at 15 fps and I am not too
> > concerned about the output fps. However, if I wanted a DVD from the avi
> > files, I suppose I would need to have either 24 or 30 fps.
>
> avifile-utils and mencoder are where I would start.

I would second the use of mencoder. I've dont it with videos from my
Canon A80. mencoder has too many options, but something along the
lines of:

mencoder mymovie.avi -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
vcodec=mpeg4:acodec=mp3:vhq -o mymovie.mpg

that is not going to work, but should get you started. Sometimes
mencoder gives good error messages about what you need to do and the
man page is pretty extensive.