Re: replacement for apt-listchanges?

On 2007-08-05 21:56:00 +0200, Mathias Brodala wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre, 05.08.2007 20:36:
> > Is there a replacement for apt-listchanges, not written in python?
>
> Not that I knew of. What’s the problem with apt-listchanges written
> in Python?

Python breaks too often (at least on Debian). The problem is that in
case of such error, the error (though detectable) is ignored and the
packages are installed without any user confirmation. Displaying the
contents of new information of the NEWS file before the installation
of packages is very important, as there may be critical changes (there
have been such changes in exim4, but also in X11-related packages,
where old[*] drivers may have been removed).

Now, it seems that modifying /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20listchanges should
be a workaround (but I'm not very confident in such user-side changes,
as sooner or later they often lead to problems).

[*] but still necessary under some conditions.