Re: Start booting hard drive, from a CD

* Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> 2007-08-03
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 05:42:22PM +0530, Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
> > I am unable to boot from my hard drive due to some problem. As a temporary
> > solution, I want to make a CD, and use it to start booting the hard drive.
> > How can I make such a CD? Thanks!
>
> The answer will depend on why you can't boot from hard drive in the
> first place.

In an old laptop, I need to boot an external hard drive that the BIOS does
not recognize.

A different computer is giving errors, while booting a SATA hard drive. I
was told that "the proper modules are not being used in the initrd", but I
have no idea how to fix that.

I guess a live CD would be useful, but how do I get the live CD to boot the
hard drive? Also, should it have the same architecture (I386/AMD64), release
(Etch/Lenny), and Linux kernel version, as the hard drive?

--
Masatran, R. Deepak <http://research.iiit.ac.in/~masatran/>

believed to be clean.